Monday, July 29, 2013

100% pure cocoa stocked again in Woolworths supermarkets

It has been out of stock for quite a while now but its back in stock again, at a special price. I have been unable to find any other unadulterated cooking cocoa powder for sale at a reasonable price in any chain of supermarkets since this product went out of stock. Woolworths Homebrand 100% Pure Cocoa Powder is made in Germany from imported ingredients. Unlike the popular Australian brand of cocoa, Bournville Cocoa, this product only lists one ingredient in the "Ingredients" listing on the packet: "Pure Cocoa Powder". The Bournville brand product differs from the German Homebrand product in many respects. It apparently contains flavourings, it is lighter in colour, less intense in flavour and it has roughly twice the sugar content as the Homebrand cocoa, which makes me wonder how much of the flavouring in the Bournville brand is just plain old sugar. I certainly don't regard the Bournville product as a pure or honest product, and I refuse to buy it. I also refuse to buy any of the many premium imported cooking cocoa products on the market that come in tiny cans and have huge prices. If Woolies can offer a pure and good product at a very reasonable price, why can't other supermarket retailers offer similar products?

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Big Name Brand said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I found the same issue with Homebrand pure cocoa powder (Countdown) vs Cadbury Bournvila pure cocoa powder (Aussie version from Countdown). Both are supposed to be pure but Cadbury has 24.5gms of carbs...and I'm on a Ketogenic diet. It has put me out of ketosis so there is definately something not quite clear going on. The Homebrand has left over cocoa grains in the bottom of my mug, and the Cadbury doesn't. .is there something different in the process (Dutch method) or is it truly not as pure (Cadbury). Anyay I'm dissapointed and I'm going back to Homebrand!!! Also if o have cadbury Cocoa shake on my icecream (homemade sugar free) it tastes more like chocolate powder than cocoa powder so are there a significant amount of contamination from othe chocolate products that are not listep on "may contain" allergy alert.